Ideas for summer: DYI denim purse
Are you looking for an activity that could help you having your teenagers busy at home during this summer? Why not trying this useful and entertaining activity doing your own denim purse by recycling and old pair of jeans that you are not wearing anymore? This will make you work with your creativity and get a new accessory that you or your daughter can combine with your outfits.
“Denim is a great fabric to make garments as it is quite resistant and can be recycled after its life as a garment is over, this way, you can give it and extra life by using it to create something different”, said Salomon Juan Marcos Villarreal, president of Grupo Denim, about denim.
The steps to follow to make your own denim purse at home are quite simple, first you have to choose the pair of jeans that you have thought or throwing away before, instead of doing that, you will be doing the following:
- Make sure the jeans are pretty clean, if they are not; put them into the wash machine before you start with your project.
- Cut the pant right below the crotch, as if you were cutting your jeans into a pair of mini shorts, but do not throw away the legs as they will be useful too.
- Cut a piece from one of the legs, this will help as a divider panel for your purse, although this is only optional.
- Turn the piece of jeans cut inside to sew it, you can do it manually, but it has better results when doing it with a sewing machine. Remember to include the divider if you are going to use it.
- Cut a strip from one of the legs, it must be at least 2” width and sew it to your purse.
- After you are done, use your imagination and ask for your daughter to help you decorating it by applying more buttons, rhinestones, patches, fabric paint, ribbons or anything you would like to apply to your new purse.
As you can see, making a denim purse is simple and it is a great way to spend some time with your children this summer.
“Recycling denim and turning into something different is a good way to help the environment, save money and practicing your abilities to turn something old into something completely new and useful”, added Salomon Juan Marcos Villarreal.